View ALL NEW products
Soccer Goalkeeper Gloves, Gear & Equipment:
Goalkeepers play a critical and unique position on the soccer pitch and today's top keepers influence the game on a greater basis than ever before.
As the only player allowed to legally use their hands on the field, the soccer goalkeeper is truly a special breed of athlete demonstrating limitless agility, quickness, judgment and fearlessness.
Whether a beginner or professional, we offer goalkeeper gloves, apparel and equipment for all abilities in every price range from all the top brands.
A brief history of soccer goalkeeping:
Did you know?
- The first documented reference to soccer player "positions" from the late 16th century does not mention goalkeepers.
However, early 17th century literature does reference some form of goal "guardian" or "keeper."
- The original 1863 "Laws of the Game," allows goalkeepers to use their hands anywhere on their half of the pitch!
This was amended in 1912 to limit goalie's hand use within their penalty area, which is consistent with today's rules.
- A major rule change affecting goalkeepers was implemented in 1992: a deliberate pass via a teammate's foot can no longer be handled by the keeper in the penalty area -- it must be played without hands.
This innovation removed a traditionally boring soccer strategy while forcing goalkeeper involvement as a field player, which greatly rewarded the more skilled / mobile keepers.
- Some of today's dominant keepers are even described with the moniker "sweeper keeper" -- a clever reference to some mobile goalkeepers now handling some defensive responsibilities of the "sweeper" position.
- In addition to rule changes, the physical size, strength and quickness of today's keepers allows them to dramatically impact the modern soccer game.
- The first known patent for goalie gloves was granted in 1885 to William Sykes.
His basic leather glove design even featured a layer of rubber for protection and shock absorption.
- U.S. soccer goalkeepers were the some of the pioneers in international professional soccer -- opening the doors for future U.S. field players to feature in top international soccer leagues.
- The most expensive gloves feature the best grip on the ball, however, this means they usually wear out faster than cheaper models!
We recommend an inexpensive glove for training / practice and save the expensive gloves exclusively for matches.
- As any soccer player will attest: a quality goalkeeper is always welcome on any soccer team!
adidas ACE 16.1 Primeknit FG Soccer Shoes (Solar Yellow/Black)
adidas Mexico World Cup 2018 Soccer Jersey (Home 17/18)